Production wasn't straightforward as the spot does not have a voice-over, which means the visuals alone have to tell the story (along with the sound effects). And on a technical level, the fact that the spot is basically one long sequence didn't make things easier.
- All elements except for the hands are animated in 3D.
- No concept art was used, apart from a few storyboard sketches. The look and feel of the spot was established during production.
- The school cafeteria was originally a market scene with all sorts of food and spices:
- My own artistic skills were used to create the children's drawing
Some technical details:
- The spot was rendered using the new Physical renderer (Cinema 4D R13) . Except for small things like color correction, no post work was applied.
- De growing plants and fluid sim were created using Dpit Plants & Effex. Apart from this, no plugins were used.
- Thanks to a few optimizations and tricks, each frame with Indirect Illumination rendered under 30 minutes a frame, which made it possible to render the spot in-house.
Although most of the work was done by me, I had some great help from Pavel who created a few models and Jean for rotoscoping the hands.